[Tech] locking out openbox

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 01:26:14 PDT 2016

Hi,

I wanted to let this list know of the solution to a problem that we had
been having at one of the homeless shelters that we are serving.

The problem is that the residents were clicking on a button on the top
right hand corner of the login screen under Lubuntu 14.04, and then
choosing openbox, which would start an openbox session, rather than a
lubuntu session, which in turn resulted in the machine being not useful
until it was rebooted.  The button looks like the Lubuntu symbol, like this:

​
The login screen is the screen where you chose which user you want and
entering the password for that account.

The solution to the problem was to just rename the offending files which
start openbox and Lubuntu netbook., which means that the only remaining
visible option was the regular Lubuntu session.  Here is how I did it on my
own computer, just using the simple mv command:

cje at beast:/usr/share/xsessions$ ls
Lubuntu.desktop  Lubuntu-Netbook.desktop  openbox.desktop

cje at beast:/usr/share/xsessions$ ls
Lubuntu.desktop  Lubuntu-Netbook.desktop.bak  openbox.desktop.bak

Here's where I got the idea for this solution:

I will implement these changes soon at the Crosby.  Thanks for reading.
:-)

--
Christian Einfeldt