[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:12:08 PDT 2015

Hi, bottom posting...

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Scott DuBois <rhcom.linux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 06:47:00PM -0700, Steve Zawadzski wrote:
> >
> > There is one other tool that is interesting.  squid-deb-proxy looks
> interesting
> > and has a minimal setup.  Chef and Ruppet have a little setup over
> head.  There
> > is one other project that has very little setup and looks easy to use.
> it also
> > has a web front end.  It is called Apt-Cacher NG.  I will read up a
> little  on
> > which is easiest on the user.  I think both look pretty easy  on  the
> ultimate
> > user.
>
> Yeah, I read a blog post on that one. Looks fairly straight forward.
>
> One thing I'd like to think about is having future capabilities. Right now
> we're
> just kicking around the idea of package caching but, there may be a desire
> for
> more advanced configurations in the future or applications (such as a
> shelter or
> other school) that may want the same server model but with *other*
> options.

That is true.

Also, we are going to need to be able to have iTalc running on these
machines.  It allows the teacher the power to lock down students' machines
when they are unruly, to bring them back to order.  It is amazingly
effective.  I have seen it in action in a class.

http://italc.sourceforge.net/

Our last server guru told me once that Firefox interfered with some
function in iTalc.  I didn't understand it of course, but he chose
Chromium.  The problem with Chromium is that it doesn't run all of the
video stuff on the Internet, because much of that stuff is non-free, and
Chromium is only free software.  At least that has been my experience on my
own Linux descktop.  I am just letting you know in advance of an issue that
might come up.