[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:51:47 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:12:08AM -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> That is true.
>
> Also, we are going to need to be able to have iTalc running on these
> machines.  It allows the teacher the power to lock down students' machines
> when they are unruly, to bring them back to order.  It is amazingly
> effective.  I have seen it in action in a class.

Right. I believe iTalc is being given preference as a "must have" application
that we'll find a way of working around.

> Our last server guru told me once that Firefox interfered with some
> function in iTalc.  I didn't understand it of course, but he chose
> Chromium.  The problem with Chromium is that it doesn't run all of the
> video stuff on the Internet, because much of that stuff is non-free, and
> Chromium is only free software.  At least that has been my experience on my
> own Linux descktop.  I am just letting you know in advance of an issue that
> might come up.

Yeah, I actually either use full on Chrome or Iceweasel to get the proprietary
codecs to work. I don't think Iceweasel is an option for Lubuntu but SeaMonkey
or Arora might be an option worth exploring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arora_(web_browser)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeaMonkey

If I knew anyone at Mozilla, I'd ask for help trying to work around whatever the
issue might be.

--
Scott DuBois       "The true sign of intelligence is...
BSIT/SE	                 not knowledge but imagination"