[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:50:46 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 06:47:00PM -0700, Steve Zawadzski wrote:

> There is one other tool that is interesting.  squid-deb-proxy looks interesting
> and has a minimal setup.  Chef and Ruppet have a little setup over head.  There
> is one other project that has very little setup and looks easy to use.  it also
> has a web front end.  It is called Apt-Cacher NG.  I will read up a  little  on
> which is easiest on the user.  I think both look pretty easy  on  the  ultimate
> user.

Yeah, I read a blog post on that one. Looks fairly straight forward.

One thing I'd like to think about is having future capabilities. Right now we're
just kicking around the idea of package caching but, there may be a desire for
more advanced configurations in the future or applications (such as a shelter or
other school) that may want the same server model but with *other* options. I
think whatever soltion is applied, it should have some flex for easily adding
and removing options.

I agree, Chef and Puppet are really great tools. The overhead and learning curve
might be a bit much though. However, once established, might provide for great
replication.

--
Scott DuBois       "The true sign of intelligence is...
BSIT/SE	                 not knowledge but imagination"