[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:01:58 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 06:55:31PM -0700, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Steven Z <qwarlock at qwarlock.com> wrote:
> > There is one other tool that is interesting.  squid-deb-proxy looks interesting
> > and has a minimal setup.  Chef and Ruppet have a little setup over head.  There
> > is one other project that has very little setup and looks easy to use.  it also
> > has a web front end.  It is called Apt-Cacher NG.  I will read up a  little  on
> > which is easiest on the user.  I think both look pretty easy  on  the  ultimate
> > user.
>
> I did an evaluation of these tools a few years back, I wish I had kept
> my notes. The one thing I did learn in general was that many of them
> had you change your /etc/apt/sources.list on each desktop on the
> network to point to the proxy server, so it wasn't a transparent proxy
> (squid is transparent). I've always sought to avoid using these
> non-transparent proxies in case the proxy server went away/was down
> for whatever reason, leaving the desktops without a way to update
> until the /etc/apt/sources.list was changed back to point at the
> Ubuntu repositories directly.

Good point and we would definitely want to avoid that kind of thing.

However, couldn't we use pinning to assign apt sourcing priorities so that if
the first option (proxy) becomes unavailable for some reason the client would
roll to the next priority source?

https://serverfault.com/questions/506772/prioritise-repositories-in-ubuntu

When I switched to Debain Wheezy (Stable), Rick Moen pointed this out to me
about how to work with the various testing and stable repos so that one can get
the right packages with less concern of dependency problems. I may still have
those emails if the concept is of interest.

--
Scott DuBois       "The true sign of intelligence is...
BSIT/SE	                 not knowledge but imagination"