[Tech] Amazing trouble ticket system

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:49:13 PDT 2015

Hi, bottom posting...

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph <lyz at partimus.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I just found out about an amazing trouble ticket system that is on-line.
> > Check this out:
> >
> > https://support.pennmanor.net/
>
> Unfortunately it's a proprietary, for-pay solution.

k, thx for that.  I personally am not interested in anything proprietary.

> They do offer a free-as-in-beer download version for non-profits[0],
> but we'd need to have a serious discussion about whether the value of
> the system outweighs our prior commitment to only using free/open
> source software in our infrastructure.

Yeah, ultimately, the freedom we get from free software greatly outweighs
the limited benefits that you get from proprietary software.  Plus, free as
is freedom is just inspiring, uplifting, exciting, and the right thing to
do.

> Charlie does exceptional work, we've been in touch for a couple years
> and I've since met him a couple times at conferences back east. He's
> very much aware of the work we've done as well. Great contact to have
> :) If you'd like, I can reach out to him to see if he has some
> documents that are helpful with our PXE & custom ISO discussions.

This whole thing is moving so fast now.  I just 2 seconds ago got off of
the phone with Charlie.  He is going to contact some of his gurus to see if
there are any tips that can be offered to Tai, so that Tai doesn't entirely
have to re-create the wheel, and so that Tai and the other Partimus gurus
working on this project have someone experienced in PXE boot solutions to
bounce ideas off of.  They are supporting thousands of GNU-Linux laptops
back there in Pennsylvania in Lancaster county, so they have some good
experience.

I am responding to Tai's email in another email, which I was working on
when Lyz's email came in and then Charlie called me.  As I say, when it
rains, it pours.   :-)  Thanks to everyone for your interest in this
project.