[Tech] Amazing trouble ticket system

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at partimus.org
Fri Mar 20 12:37:01 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just found out about an amazing trouble ticket system that is on-line.
> Check this out:
>
> https://support.pennmanor.net/

Unfortunately it's a proprietary, for-pay solution.

They do offer a free-as-in-beer download version for non-profits[0],
but we'd need to have a serious discussion about whether the value of
the system outweighs our prior commitment to only using free/open
source software in our infrastructure. We'd also need to find
somewhere to host it (we have some server space with Dreamhost, but
someone would need to see if it meets the requirements and then commit
to maintaining it in a secure way).

[0] http://www.kayako.com/free-help-desk-software/

> If you want ideas as to what we can do with FOSS in schools, this guy,
> Charlie Reisinger, has really knocked it out of the park.  Here is a short
> video that describes what he does:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Co37GO2Fc
>
> Essentially, he does mass PXE-boot installs installs; he has high school
> seniors do tech support for their peers; and he has an easy on-line trouble
> ticket system, linked above.

Charlie does exceptional work, we've been in touch for a couple years
and I've since met him a couple times at conferences back east. He's
very much aware of the work we've done as well. Great contact to have
:) If you'd like, I can reach out to him to see if he has some
documents that are helpful with our PXE & custom ISO discussions.

--
http://www.partimus.org