[Discussion] Neigbborhood Apartment Fire

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:59:55 PST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM, James Howard <james at partimus.org> wrote:

> > CACS now has an information and donation page:
> >
> > http://www.creativeartscharter.org/news/fire.asp
> >
> > Now that there is more public information about the damage we should
> > blog about this on the Partimus blog to spread awareness that they're
> > looking for help, I'll write up a draft in the next day or so for
> > others to review.
> >

> I'm very naive about these things, so please be patient with me. But my
> questions are: 1) I carry a property and casualty policy as required by my
> lender for my home. Why wouldn't a school carry this? 2) It's a public
> school. Where is the government?  A half block of Berkeley recently burned
> down and the Federal government came in offered aid. Surely, the
> government would do the same for a school.

Insurance companies typically don't cover all of the loss, and teachers
don't make much money, and schools budgets are getting cut regularly.
 Maria Jenerik has to work over Christmas holidays and other school breaks
as a painter to make ends meet, and she still goes out of pocket for things
such as supplies for her classroom.

For example, there were a lot of books in the school's K-5 library that
were damaged, and those will not be covered.  Computers were damaged, and
those will not be covered.  This is an opportunity for us to get more
teachers using Linux computers.