[Tech] wifi issues with Ubuntu

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 21:31:36 PDT 2018

Hi, with the help of my hardware guru, Holden Aust, I was able to solve a
wifi problem with the wifi not working on the Alamo SFUSD Thinkpad x140e
notebooks that teacher Owen Peery is using to replace Microsoft Windows
machines for students in at least one classroom, and probably several
classrooms.  The Lubuntu 18.04 was simply not seeing the wifi cards, due to
proprietary Broadcom drivers.  All I had to do was install the drivers.  It
was not really even all that terribly difficult, after Holden found the
proper instructions on line.  Here are the instructions:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/847580/no-wifi-with-broadcom-43142-ubuntu-16-04

Here is the output, so that you can see how it played out on this
particular machine, which is machine 9:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HvEUIeeHpDqD1aNbb0DBE4qMQNRXRaFR0b5uha8__3s/edit

If you need an invitation to this document, please just let me know.  I
have invited Holden, Lyz, and Grant, and am happy to invite others.  Many
thanks to Holden in helping me solve this problem for the Alamo school,
which is a direct SFUSD school, not a public charter, like KIPP was.  The
teachers were complaining that these Thinkpads were too slow to use
before.  Now tech teacher Owen Peery thinks the machines are fast and
thinks they will be popular with teachers.