[Tech] custom ISO, used (and not used) for ...

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at partimus.org
Thu Jun 18 17:56:53 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Michael Paoli
<Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I'm presuming this is not, or no longer particularly accurate:
>
>> For those who've asked, the reason we are doing pre-customization is to
>> have an image that has everything already on it. We're not burning the ISO
>> to discs, but prepping it for serving as an online image over the local
>> network.
>

> That rather, the custom ISO is to be used for:
> * boot/install (from ISO and/or install server, but starting from
>   bootable ISO if/when needed).
> * It's not to be generally served as an ISO or mounted ISO from the
>   build/install server, but rather: the build/install server would more
>   generally have the relevant packages available (in cache or otherwise
>   pre-seeded).
>
> Does rather seem to me it would be a whole lot of work to need to *also*
> update ISO image on the build/install server - much simpler to just have
> the newer packages, etc. on the build/install server - could still boot
> target hosts from older custom ISO just fine I would think, and they'd
> get updates from build/install server, without need to have custom ISO
> image update on build/install server.
>
> Anyway, let me know if my presumptions aren't correct.

Sorry that the expectations haven't been clear here, I appreciate you
asking for clarification.

Long term, if at all possible, I would like to see Partimus offer an
ISO solution that satisfies both of these requirements:

1. Is tuned to serve up a customized (packages, default users) Lubuntu
ISO from our PXE+Clonezilla server for a single school that we're
working to serve right now.

2. Can also be spun up as an actual ISO image to be burned to a
DVD/USB stick to give out, Robert Litt found this very valuable when
sharing the software with others.

The first requirement is the most important right now because we have
a school year schedule deadline. If that means we don't have a system
that builds a burnable ISO, that's ok and we can focus on it later.

Hope this helps.

--
http://www.partimus.org