[Tech] custom ISO, used (and not used) for ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 17 23:04:50 PDT 2015

I'm presuming this is not, or no longer particularly accurate:

> For those who've asked, the reason we are doing pre-customization is to
> have an image that has everything already on it. We're not burning the ISO
> to discs, but prepping it for serving as an online image over the local
> network.

That rather, the custom ISO is to be used for:
* boot/install (from ISO and/or install server, but starting from
   bootable ISO if/when needed).
* It's not to be generally served as an ISO or mounted ISO from the
   build/install server, but rather: the build/install server would more
   generally have the relevant packages available (in cache or otherwise
   pre-seeded).

Does rather seem to me it would be a whole lot of work to need to *also*
update ISO image on the build/install server - much simpler to just have
the newer packages, etc. on the build/install server - could still boot
target hosts from older custom ISO just fine I would think, and they'd
get updates from build/install server, without need to have custom ISO
image update on build/install server.

Anyway, let me know if my presumptions aren't correct.