[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at partimus.org
Tue May 26 18:55:31 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Steven Z <qwarlock at qwarlock.com> wrote:
> There is one other tool that is interesting.  squid-deb-proxy looks interesting
> and has a minimal setup.  Chef and Ruppet have a little setup over head.  There
> is one other project that has very little setup and looks easy to use.  it also
> has a web front end.  It is called Apt-Cacher NG.  I will read up a  little  on
> which is easiest on the user.  I think both look pretty easy  on  the  ultimate
> user.

I did an evaluation of these tools a few years back, I wish I had kept
my notes. The one thing I did learn in general was that many of them
had you change your /etc/apt/sources.list on each desktop on the
network to point to the proxy server, so it wasn't a transparent proxy
(squid is transparent). I've always sought to avoid using these
non-transparent proxies in case the proxy server went away/was down
for whatever reason, leaving the desktops without a way to update
until the /etc/apt/sources.list was changed back to point at the
Ubuntu repositories directly.

Just something to keep in mind during your evaluation, thanks for your
work on this! :)

--
http://www.partimus.org