[Tech] Update Abigail's lab

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed May 6 17:20:02 PDT 2015

Hi,

Sean and I updated Abigail's Linux lab today.  The changes are reflected in
the lab spreadsheet, to which you all have access.  If you don't have
access for whatever reason, just let me know, and I will give you access.

Essentially, we installed Lubuntu 14.04 on two new machines today and used
them to replace the machines that were in positions 5 and 24, because those
machines only had 500 MB of RAM and were very slow as a result.

Abigail thought that machines 19 and 20 were slow, but I am going to have
to speak with her about that again, because those machines are actually 2
of the faster machines in the lab.  The spreadsheet shows that they have 3
GB and 2 GB of RAM, respectively, and I tested both machines, and found
them to be fast.  I was not able to reproduce the problem that Abigail was
seeing, and so I left those machines in place.

Position 24 now has 2 machines in place.  One of them is merely a pedestal,
namely, the old pizza box style machine that was there, but it is unplugged
and just sitting there.  Beside it is one of the Partimus machines donate
by J. David Eisenberg, which is working and has 1 GB of RAM.

Abigail now has 2 machines installed and ready to serve as back up machines
if other of her machines go down.  Those are the two machines sitting on
the counter behind her desk, and those machines have been labelled
accordingly.  Abigail, if one of your production machines goes down, all
you have to do is unplug the bad machine and plug in the good machine and
you are ready to go.

The machine that was formerly sitting in position 5 is now sitting
unplugged behind Abigail's desk.  It could either be end-of-lifed or
donated, or kept as an emergency back up machine.

There is now only 1 more machine that is running 500 MB of RAM, and it is
in position 3.  I ran out of time to test it today, but next time I come, I
can test it and replace it, or Abigail could replace it with one of the
machines behind her desk.  Those machines both have 1 GB of RAM, and both
are fully installed and tested and ready to go.

--
Christian Einfeldt