[Tech] Partimus resources? (& SF-LUG, BALUG, ...)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 28 07:54:59 PDT 2015

So ... (ah, if only we already had all this stuff documented on wiki ...
or Google Docs, but no ... well, ... not yet, anyway :-)) ...
what resources does Partimus have, most notably in the way of
test/development/"lab" (not to be confused with "production"
deployments in school lab(s)) equipment - especially computers & such?
E.g. what resource(s) do we developers / system administrators have
available to work on to built/test/develop, for improvements to be made
or later made (e.g. be it modest improvements, or "next gen"
deployments) to develop for later/future "production" school
deployments?  What do we have in the way of remotely accessible
resources for such?  (That would often be most convenient - notably
regarding when folks may be able to volunteer time on such, timezones,
folk(s) being located remotely, etc. ... also, with remote access, much
easier for two or more folks to coordinate, compare work, examine, work
on mutually, etc.).*

And I was also thinking, ... and if Jim Stockford is agreeable to such
... there are some SF-LUG (& BALUG) resources which may also be
leveraged to benefit both Partimus and SF-LUG & BALUG.  There is a
SF-LUG physical machine, in co-lo in San Francisco, which is used by
both SF-LUG and BALUG (has two VMs on it, one for each LUG).  It's a
reasonably capable machine (ample md mirrored hard drive space,
excellent bandwidth availability), and might also be able to
accommodate Partimus development on it too (with some reasonably
careful consideration and sharing of resources).  Additionally, not
only potentially benefiting Partimus for such - but could also benefit
SF-LUG and BALUG ... if that physical machine also became part of
Partimus project, may also be significantly easier to get co-lo(s) to
donate / continue to donate hosting of that physical box (SF-LUG and
BALUG are "just" LUGs, and have no non-profit status.  So far Jim has
managed to get the co-lo to donate hosting, but seems that's not been
especially easy, and that co-lo has also been bought out by / merged
with yet another company ... so seems we're soon up for the again
attempting to convince them to continue to donate the hosting of the
physical machine for us ... might be much easier to be able to continue
such hosting with that - or other co-lo - if that machine was also, at
least in part, part of Partimus project).

*yep, sometimes a lot 'o stuff can be worked on and well done remotely
and/or using virtual, whereas on-site physical may not be nearly so
convenient (and especially for those not at all local to target
production deployment environments).  For an example, if one is
curious, have a look at this posting:
(if one is impatient or quite pressed for time, skip forward to the
line:
approach, with Rick's approval:
and just read the remainder of that paragraph and the paragraph after
that one
)
[sf-lug] How linuxmafia.com got back to being operational again :-)
Thu Jan 22 01:25:36 PST 2015
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2015q1/010663.html