[Tech] Fwd: Important notice regarding Java packages in Partner archive

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at partimus.org
Thu Jan 19 13:04:59 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM, James Howard <james at partimus.org> wrote:
> We're using it almost anywhere I've set up a deployment server (CAC, KIPP,
> Ascend, Beacon). But ever since it was moved to the partner repositories
> (10.04?), I've deployed the packages independently. Not sure how this will
> affects anyone who has the package already installed -- our machines never
> update themselves.

The initial plan was to ship empty packages, but they announced that
instead they're just going to remove the packages from the archive:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2012-January/001554.html

So it shouldn't impact systems with them installed even when we do
routine upgrades, but we'll have to use one of the alternate
strategies from the initial email for systems in the future.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com