[Tech] CACS machines...

James Howard james at partimus.org
Tue Aug 9 18:08:19 PDT 2011

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> Anybody know the specs on the machines at CACS?
>
>  * 2.0-2.8ghz Pentium 4s
>  * 512M-1G of RAM (we've been upgrading them all to 1G gradually as we
> have the resources)
>  * 40-80G hard drives

This sounds about right, but bear in mind these are Northwood P4's (512 MB
L2 cache). Mostly, 512 MB, but we do have enough spare RAM (thanks in
large to a generous donation from the ACCRC) to bump the machines up to
768 MB.

The hard drives seem a bit on the sluggish side, leading me to suspect
they are the 5400 RPM variety.

>> Also, are there any
>> plans on maintenance/upgrades of the lab there for fall 2011?
>
> AFAIK there are no plans to upgrade any of the systems hardware-wise
> and they will be staying on 10.04 for now so any software upgrades
> would just be the standard updates.
>
> Someone else can speak to plans to head over there for maintenance,
> there is nothing on the calendar right now.

The goal was to upgrade the RAM in the lab machines this summer to meet
the 768 MB minimum spec this summer.

However, right now, it's not clear if there even is a lab at CAC. The
school is undergoing a renovation, and the lab was set to be disassembled
and relocated temporarily, and then brought back the following semester.
It's not clear what the current state of the lab is.