[Discussion] Improving online Linux support for teachers

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at partimus.org
Wed Dec 4 16:42:58 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

Over the weekend Christian and I met up with Robert Litt to load up
some computers into his van to take over to Oakland, hooray!

But aside from that work, Robert mentioned that it would be helpful to
offer online support for teachers. Particularly since we're all so
busy now that coming out to schools on a regular basis is becoming
increasingly difficult.

I am reluctant to create a whole new Linux support site when the
internet is full of them, but this would specifically be geared toward
teachers who don't necessarily have a technology background and don't
have time to tinker. I'm thinking we could just use the already
existing tech at lists.partimus.org mailing list and encourage teachers
to send to that email address for help. We moderate non-subscribers
(spam issue) but we have enough active moderators that their mails
won't be stuck in the moderation queue for long.

Even if we don't know the answer right away, we can do the leg work of
going to LUG mailing lists, forums and other resources which may be
more intimidating to a newcomer without much time. Since this is
online I could also encourage some of my peers in the Ubuntu community
to join the mailing list and help out.

Thoughts?

--
http://www.princessleia.com