[Discussion] Sustainability: existing model

Aaron Castle clausemic at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 16:08:02 PDT 2013

http://www.freegeek.org/

has a warehouse where a volunteer team accepts curbside donations, as well as processes business and commercial donations.

volunteers work in exchange for discounts at the thrift store store front, as well as hardware grants.

donations are sorted depending on hardware specs, with the nicest stuff set aside and grouped into grants to other non-profits, schools...

mid-level stuff is built by/for volunteers and granted to individuals and households.

obsolete machines are stripped and sorted into plastic, pcb, metals, glass, etc. by volunteers overseen by a paid co-ordinator. this is where complete newbies are welcomed and volunteers beging building a skillset by disassembling computers...

meeting and classroom space is available in the warehouse for volunteer-led educational activites.

income is from sales of raw materials for recycling, sales at the thrift-store, rental of meeting space to outside organizations or volunteer members for private events (no charge for free public events), cash donations, fund-raisers...

expenses are paid staff and rent...

I guess that the idea is that they are able to make "sustainable" hardware grants because of the sheer quantity of materials processed at the facility.

and everybody is familiar with noisebridge....

My personal vision of sustainably closing the digital divide would be a marriage of noisebridge and freegeek.

To pull this off in the bay area would be really difficult because you need so much space, and space is at such a premium. Possibly establish a charitable trust to buy a property, and then grant the space (or rent it inexpensively) to individuals and organizations...

or maybe someone just happens to have a 10,000 sqft warehouse laying around empty.

- Aaron Castle
www.canander.com
www.re-computer.org
650-898-4058

“I still believe that peace and plenty and happiness can be worked out some way. I am a fool.”
Kurt Vonnegut