[Discussion] Key social ingredients for a successful deployment

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at partimus.org
Tue Dec 6 12:11:47 PST 2011

Hi everyone,

For the Southern California Linux Expo this year I've submitted a talk
with the title "Bringing Linux into Public Schools and Community
Centers" based on my experience so far here with Partimus and work the
Ubuntu Pennsylvania team did in community centers back east.

We know we have hardware, amazing tools with Linux, and talented
individuals able to deploy them (this is the easy part of the talk!),
but what key things are required on the social side to make a
successful deployment? I've already reached out to a few people
directly so have much of my talk fleshed out already but wanted to
open this discussion to the wider mailing list in case there were
things we missed.

My list so far after talking with a few people:

 - Strong allies at the school/community center

 - On the ground support (including regular check-ins even if no
problems have been reported)

 - Strong project leadership (maintain relationships, make sure things
don't fall apart)

 - Dedicated core team of volunteers (assist leadership, pick up slack
or loose ends, reliable)

Thanks everyone.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2