[Tech] Usage Minutes

Grant Bowman grantbow at partimus.org
Thu Oct 14 12:15:34 PDT 2021

Hello, Tech list. Thanks for staying subscribed!

This has been on my mind for a long time now. For our partimus machine
usage metrics we would be well served to have a system that keeps an eye on
how the machines are used, idle and off. Placing a machine doesn't mean
it's being used as we know. When people ask what our impact is, we don't
really know very well past certain high level metrics but I think we could
tabulate and find out a bit more. These numbers might also help us identify
support needs, broken things like keyboards & mice, etc.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1368345/seeking-an-operator-present-indication-for-a-remote-system-accessed-over-ssh

This talks about how to measure the idle milliseconds of the X display, a
low level number for sure but a good metric to use when combined with some
logic like - 10 minutes means the machine is idle, etc. Of course we don't
want to store any personally identifiable information.

Sites, machines placed, minutes active and people served would be great to
measure in different ways. Some of this data can be simply tabulated, some
can be automated.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Grant