[Tech] Introductions

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:13:51 PDT 2018

Hi, I wanted to update you all on the status of this project.  I have been
to Owen's school 2x, and we have started installing Lubuntu 18.04 on the
notebooks.  These notebooks are going to replace Microsoft Windows desktops
in a teacher's classroom.

We also had a technical issue that I have solved, and I wanted to share it
with you.  Guest sessions are disabled by default in 18.04, maybe even as
early as 16.04, not sure.  At any rate, since we are installing 18.04, we
need to create a temporary guest session that wipes out all data created
during the session, as well as all config files.  14.04 came with this
feature enabled by default.  In 18.04, you have to enable it, as it is
disabled.  There is a simple one-liner script that you can use to enable it:

sudo sh -c 'printf "[Seat:*]\nallow-guest=true\n"
>/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/40-enable-guest.conf'

Here is the page that discusses it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/915415/guest-session-stopped-working-on-ubuntu-versions-later-than-16-04

Thanks everyone for your interest in this project!