[Tech] updates, etc. ... remotely? Why not? :-)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 28 08:11:58 PDT 2016

Yes, thanks ... TeamViewer was the name I wasn't quite recalling (ah, so much
easier to search out the answer when one knows the answer).
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2015q4/011521.html
And thanks for the mention of Gitso - wasn't aware of that one, sounds
cool, and perhaps a good possibility.

"Reverse" ssh - with some "server(s)" (or IP rendezvous points) out there,
could potentially run that pretty much continuously on the hosts.
And yes, in all cases, would want the ssh very well secured - particularly
since much of this stuff often is set up with account names and
passwords that probably wouldn't be much challenge to the
password guessing bots that tend to pound the Internet lookin' for
the easier targets to break into.  While my home stuff
tends to have nice secure passwords rather like:
lwE.*<S;`y'-i;9q}}C]
... well, that ain't the kind'a stuff local support staff is typically
gonna want to be typing for a password.  And yes, enforcing
authentication by key(s) would be recommended (if not practically
essential) for remote.