[Tech] updates, etc. ... remotely? Why not? :-)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 28 07:00:15 PDT 2016

Well, there are various ways to do updates, support, etc.
remotely.  Maybe we ought work bit more on that, so we can
save on resources making trips to/from sites that would
be better skipped if/when feasible.

Ideally we'd have some means to access the host(s) directly
from remote ... but even that's not (fully) necessary.
If the hosts have so much as some semi-reasonable
Internet access (e.g. hosts can connect out - even
egad, "worst case" if it's limited to http and/or https,
and even through a proxy if proxy supports the http
Connect capability) ... so, ... it *can* be done.

There are various possible ways ... "reverse" ssh is one
that jumps to mind, but there are others ... let me peek
again and see about another I'm thinking of, but can't
recall the name of (and came well recommended from an
excellent source).

references/excerpts (and pardons if I don't have all the
quoting/attributions properly lined up):