[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at partimus.org
Wed May 27 10:29:17 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Steven Z <qwarlock at qwarlock.com> wrote:

> If you just want to get what you have allowiing bigger files to be cached
> then can I get you to check your current squid-conf against this one? The
> section on allowing cached filess up to 4G is most interesting. I am very
> curious if there is a match in there.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # Installs Squid proxy / cache and points Apt to it.
> # Cached packages are located at: /var/spool/squid
>
> # Install Squid
> apt-get install -y squid
>
> # Change this to the subnet your box runs on
> echo "acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/16" >> /etc/squid/squid.conf
>
> # Cache files up to 4GB
> echo "maximum_object_size 4000 MB" >> /etc/squid/squid.conf
>
> # Allow a total cache size of 10GB
> echo "cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 10000 16 256" >> /etc/squid/squid.conf
>
> service squid restart
>
> # Point apt to Squid cache
> echo "Acquire { Retries \"0\"; HTTP { Proxy \"http://localhost:3128\"; }; };" >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

I believe we want caching not just on packages, but in general so when
all the students go to the same website during a class they can take
advantage of caching. So I'd set the http_proxy environment variable
in /etc/environment rather than in the apt.conf

Otherwise, I'll try to give this configuration a try this week to see
how it works. I think I decided to specify the
"(Release|Packages(.gz)" and .deb stuff in my configuration because
there was some decent rationale for not caching giant files in
general, we don't want a giant zip file that really only will be
downloaded once to knock out our apt cache.

--
http://www.partimus.org