[Tech] [Discussion] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at partimus.org
Tue May 26 10:43:43 PDT 2015

Dropping -discussion from this email, because it's just a tech thing.

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 8:59 PM, Scott DuBois <rhcom.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 02:13:50PM -0700, David Sterry wrote:
>> * Caching proxy server, no filtering needed
>
> Steve Z was talking Squid for this. I've never used it myself but from reading,
> it looks like a good move.

Not sure if Steve is on this list, but if it's helpful, here are the
things I needed to add to my /etc/squid3/squid.conf in the
refresh_pattern section to get it to cache .deb packages so we can do
all of our desktop upgrades without downloading the packages over and
over:

refresh_pattern ^ftp:       1440    20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher:    1440    0%  1440
refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0%  0
refresh_pattern (Release|Packages(.gz)*)$      0       20%     2880
refresh_pattern .       0   20% 4320

Squid won't cache them by default because they're big and it tends to
assume big downloads are one-offs and big files will take up a lot of
space in the cache.

--
http://www.partimus.org