[Tech] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

David Sterry davesterry at gmail.com
Mon May 25 14:13:50 PDT 2015

Hello all,

Last week, I got a chance to meet Christian and Michael and learn about
what Partimus is working towards at the EBLUG meeting (thanks Scott for the
invite!). I've joined both these lists to get connected to the project so
In terms of how I can help, I've got a decent amount of experience
administering gnu/linux servers and providing support for all kinds of
individual and small business technology. All the while, I've had a healthy
interest in free software, having done a podcast for a little and working
in subtle ways on free software advocacy (mostly at http://trygnulinux.com).

Anyway, when I was at the EBLUG meeting I made some notes about what is
needed for Ascend's lab server setup mostly just so I could keep track of
it. As of that meeting, I saw a PXE server running and a network install
was done though I don't know if that using a custom ISO. I'm probably going
to test out Tai's custom iso procedure next and will report back on the
tech list once I've done so.

Feel free to discuss/correct any of the below.

Thanks,

Dave Sterry

Ascend Computer Lab - Partimus

Goals for server:

* Provisioning/repair of machines via pxe install
* Kickstart file with mac addresses tied to machine names
* Caching proxy server, no filtering needed
* Remote access to server to monitor logs or make fixes

Security:

* Admin accounts have passwords but blank for students
* Students have separate accounts to be able to save their own files
    and these need to be backed up

Backup for server:
* Dump and restore with block oriented backup or clonezilla or Redo?

Applications:

* Italc to be able lock all client screens
* Bluefish - html editor
* GIMP - graphics editor
* CAsecure browser - for state testing