[Tech] Partimus (PXE?) (nearly?) unattended install solution(s?)

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:58:09 PDT 2015

Hi,

My comments in line below...

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Tai Kedzierski <dch.tai at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hello all
>
> I was hoping to email on Sunday night or Monday, but got caught up
> reviewing the code for remastersys...
> https://github.com/taikedz/remastersys
>
> I have managed to put together what I believe will be able to be a
> workflow that will allow even teachers themselves to make their own
> customized ISO images in the future :-)

Thanks very much for this work!

> I have prepped a final demo CD with some relevant customizations; I will
> seed this over bittorrent for demo if anyone is interested, or just share
> some screenshots?

I will pull it down tomorrow morning Pacific time, and see if I can boot my
machine from it.  Thanks!

> So if this customization workflow is acceptable, only two more items need
> to be addressed:
>
> 1/ preseed file for making the install unattended (my customization method
> still requires initial input from user, but after that everything comes
> pre-installed)
>
> The main question is about /how to find out/ what the options are we are
> actually looking for...

I am not sure what you mean by "options".  Are you referring to the apps
that the users will use?  Those apps are listed in the sandbox google doc.

> My next intention is, if we can't set up a PXE server from scratch, to
> make a home-grown solution. I'm thinking of remastering a CD to contain a
> script that'll auto-partition, mkfs and mount /dev/sda, then just rsync
> over the network...

I don't understand what you just said.  All I know is that James Howard
made us a CD that would just cause the client to download a full and
completely customized distro over the network.  If I understand you
correctly, that is where you are getting stuck?

Thanks again for everything, Tai!