[Tech] Partimus (PXE?) (nearly?) unattended install solution(s?)

Tai Kedzierski dch.tai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 11:19:00 PDT 2015

Hello all

I was hoping to email on Sunday night or Monday, but got caught up
reviewing the code for remastersys... https://github.com/taikedz/remastersys

I have managed to put together what I believe will be able to be a
workflow that will allow even teachers themselves to make their own
customized ISO images in the future :-)

I've attached the preliminary notes; they will also be on
github.com/taikedz/our-pxe under the customization/ directory

I have prepped a final demo CD with some relevant customizations; I will
seed this over bittorrent for demo if anyone is interested, or just
share some screenshots?

So if this customization workflow is acceptable, only two more items
need to be addressed:

1/ preseed file for making the install unattended (my customization
method still requires initial input from user, but after that everything
comes pre-installed)

The main question is about /how to find out/ what the options are we are
actually looking for...

2/ & ...... the drasted PXE server. I've burned through a few tutorials
by now and no functioning setup.... anyone have a method/guide by which
to get from fresh-ubuntu14.04-install to fully-functional-pxe ???

My next intention is, if we can't set up a PXE server from scratch, to
make a home-grown solution. I'm thinking of remastering a CD to contain
a script that'll auto-partition, mkfs and mount /dev/sda, then just
rsync over the network...

Tai

PS -- (Guide Attached as markdown, also available at
https://github.com/taikedz/our-pxe/blob/master/customizer/oem/respinning_ubuntus.md
)