[Tech] Partimus / PXE unattended install solution

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:47:37 PDT 2015

It really is amazing how fast this whole process is moving.  I was just
reading about Clonezilla when Mike Rojas' email came in:

http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE/

Mike, thanks for those tips about Clonezilla.

More comments in line below

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:28 PM, LEdWorldwide!> <
ledworldwide.solutions at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow Tai! You've really managed to get a lot accomplished in a short time.
> Thanks for getting all of this rolling!

+1

> sticking with our plan and planning for a partimus.org member to visit
> the site (1-2 times per year?) to reimage the lab so the network can be
> manually isolated (also check-in and answer questions.)

Sorry, Mike, I didn't understand if this was a question or a statement.

> Christian, is visiting sites by Partimus members potentially an option? I
> know that I could donate some time.

That is great, Mike!  And yes, we do go to the sites a couple of times per
year, if possible.  Jim Stockford and David Eisenberg and I are going to
deliver 15 machines to the ASCEND school in Oakland on Wednesday.  We are
just going to deliver them at that time, and wait until we have the PXE
boot ISO done.  Once we have that ISO done, we can then strategize about
creating a server from one of the desktops that we have either there or in
the basement of the KIPP school.  Once we get the server built (or
re-purposed) we can then take the server to the ASCEND lab and deploy the
iso across the network.  If you can be available for any of those things,
that would be great!

Also, Tai mentioned wanting to have a skype call or something like that for
all of us involved in this project to talk via voice, as opposed to just
emailing.  At the same time, we could have an IRC session in our partimus
channel on Freenode.  The advantage of a skype call is that it allows us to
get a more human connection, due to the power of voice communications.  The
advantage of IRC is that it creates a log which we can then refer back to
for memory purposes and follow up.

What are your thoughts on that?  We can set up a doodle.com calendaring
event as soon as we get general availability from people.  For me, it is
best to start mornings at about 10:30 San Francisco time.