[Tech] Interactive whiteboards

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Apr 11 09:49:02 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Grant Bowman <grantbow at partimus.org> wrote:
> I heard that sfusd spent quite a bit on SmartBoard technology
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Board in recent years. Hardware
> wise a wiimote and an IR source can provide an interesting, low cost
> input device. I know some software exists too. I experimented a bit
> with this with a friend but never saw or heard about the result. I
> found this GPL software while reading about SmartBoards on Wikipedia.
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-Sankor%C3%A9
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audience_Response_System
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_whiteboard
>
> Fyi,
>
> Grant

A non-technical point: Keep in mind that one of the reasons to buy an
expensive smartboard solution is to spend the allocated money. This is
why cheaper options are not attractive. A school that is allocated say
$10,000 for a smartboard solution must spend *all* of $10,000. It is
bad form to return the money, because you would have demonstrated that
you can get by with less, and so, you will get less money next time
around.

We get excited when we are able to maximize the utility of resources
by running efficient, secure, and useful software on discarded
computers, but the game on the other end is different. Sad, but true.
I speak from within the system. The trick (IMO) is to 1) recognize
that there is a game, and 2) learn to play it to your advantage.

cheers,
Sameer