[Tech] Linux on a stick

James Howard james at partimus.org
Mon Sep 19 13:23:07 PDT 2011

Grant,

I realize you're half-way around the world, but I figured in case you
didn't have enough to do, you could lend some advice? ;-)

Robbie is a parent of a student at CACS, and he wants to start to play
with Ubuntu on his home computer. I figure that Live distro on USB may be
the way to go, and since you've explored this area extensively, maybe you
could help out. Specifically, we want to get Robbie familiar with 10.04
LTS (just like we use in the lab), and I was hoping he could get familiar
with the software center. It would give him the opportunity to research,
download, install, and test out candidate software for deployment in the
lab. Sound like fun?

I was suggesting that he'd grab the 10.04 Live! iso and unetbootin.exe
(for Windows -- since that's what he currently has) and he'd be all set,
aside from a couple pitfalls? Or maybe you know of some alternatives that
are even easier?

I hope all is well and talk to you soon. Thanks in advance.

-James