[Tech] Application Front Redndering Issue

James Howard james at partimus.org
Thu Sep 15 09:48:50 PDT 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Robbie Socks wrote:

> Hi again James. Sorry to bug you however, my wife wants to leave town on
Friday
around 3pm. So I don't think I can make that time. Are you still going to
do the
install? Can
> we push it till next week? Thanks and sorry about the mix up. Excited to
rape up
my Linux skills. -Robbie

I will be by the lab today to put out an unrelated fire.
Not sure I'll have time to look at Yearbook Suite (YS)
today. I have some bad news in that YS has not been playing
nicely with Linu.

Having played with YS under several flavors of Linux
(Fedora, Red Hat, Ubuntu) , I've noticed a problem -- the
application fonts (those are the fonts used for the
program's menus, control panels, and so forth) render funny
(slightyl large). At times, this renders the them illegible
and the program becomes difficult (if not impossible) to
use. I haven't had a chance to look at the MS Windows or
Mac OSX release of the software to see if it experiences
the same problem.

I notice that the program was developed on some version of
Visual Basic (a Microsoft development technology), and then
ported to Linux. In fact, while the software is listed as
"Freeware", I don't see that it's necesarily Free Software
-- not sure if you are are of the difference ("free as in
free beers" vs "free as in freedom"). It doesn't ship with
a license, I don't see any source code, and I do not see
any comunity involvement in its development.  As faras I
can tell, no Linux distribution ships with YS. While this
isn't necesarily a problem for us, it may explain the why
the GUI layout is rigid and the fonts are rendering oddly.

We had a similar problem with a web based Java applet
developed by Sanford called EPGY last year. After several
weeks of pulling otur hair out, the tech and I eventualy
arrive at a sulution and I haven't heard any complaints
since. It boiled down to the program depending on some MS
Windows TTF, which we were able to deploy and map to the
application. Unfortunately, I've run YS on the machines we
modified for EPGY, and the problem persists.

I'll have to investigate further to see if what we can do
about YS. I'm not sure how invested you are i the tool.
Looking at Sourceforge, I noticed some alternatives that
may be worth checking out. I'm not sure

In any event, I'll be in the lab hopefully later this
morning and until mid afternoon.
-James