[Tech] CACS machines...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Aug 9 00:28:17 PDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach <lyz at partimus.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> Anybody know the specs on the machines at CACS?
>
>  * 2.0-2.8ghz Pentium 4s
>  * 512M-1G of RAM (we've been upgrading them all to 1G gradually as we
> have the resources)
>  * 40-80G hard drives
>
>> Also, are there any
>> plans on maintenance/upgrades of the lab there for fall 2011?
>
> AFAIK there are no plans to upgrade any of the systems hardware-wise
> and they will be staying on 10.04 for now so any software upgrades
> would just be the standard updates.
>
> Someone else can speak to plans to head over there for maintenance,
> there is nothing on the calendar right now.
>
> --
> Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
> http://www.princessleia.com

Thanks! Sugar on a Stick 5 is around the corner, hence the question
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick). I've been talking to
Maria Jenerik (+Grant Bowman) at CACS about the use of Sugar and/or
XOs there. She was in fact helping us with one of our OLPC projects,
but the Mumbai gods didn't bless it :-(
http://bhagmalpur.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/bombings-in-mumbai/

We tend to get some machines cycled out at SF State during Fall
semester, so maybe I can spot a machine or two exclusively for Sugar
at CACS.

Of course, if anyone else is interested in helping out, please let me know.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems