[Tech] Schools Purchasing Mice

Edmund Biow biow at cubasolidarity.net
Mon Jun 13 14:32:48 PDT 2011

Howdy folks, my name is Ed, I just learned about your group from a post
by Christian Einfeldt on the BALUG list.  I live in Oakland, use Linux,
have done some substituting in the Oakland school district, and work
with a group that has sent about 3,000 computers to Cuba (and 500 to
Bolivia after the Bush administration refused to grant us licenses to
ship to Cuba).
http://www.cubasolidarity.net/

We are preparing to send a few dozen machines to Haiti to be used in a
Cuban-built medical school and I offered to put Linux on them, but they
plan to just blow Windows on the boxes, ah well, Cuba has been trying to
migrate to Linux, but it is a long row to hoe.

Last year I tried to help a local recreation center set up a LTSP
computer lab with a bunch of old PII/PIII machines, but they ended up
going with new Windows machines (and mostly new CRT monitors!) donated
by the Port of Oakland, what a waste...oh well.

I thought I'd subscribe to your list and see what I can learn, or maybe
pitch in occasionally.

As to the rodent situation, if they haven't made their purchases yet I
have a suggestion or two.

One, they might try to contact the Alameda County Computer Resource
Center (http://www.accrc.org/) and see if they can get free mice.  They
will also donate used, refurbed computers (with Ubuntu) to schools.  You
guys probably already know about them.  James Burgett can be a bit of a
pill IMO, but he does some good stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nb5PpSRjXc

Another option, you might try pricewatch.com, they often have decent
prices.
http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/input_devices/wheel

I don't know how good the build quality is, but http://3btech.net has a
few wheel-mice for $4 a piece in quantities of 10, free shipping, e.g.:
http://3btech.net/blusbopmowis.html

In my experience generic rodents work pretty well, though I will grant
that Logitech and even Microsoft makes nice hardware. It might be worth
ordering 1 of a few of the cheaper ones to check them out before buying
dozens of them. Amazon also offers a generic mouse for $4.18:
http://www.amazon.com/iMicro-MO-5013U-Optical-Mouse-Silver/dp/B002KKCNHG/ref=pd_cp_e_3

BTW, it looks like the Amazon B100 Logitech mouse it up to $8.24 now.

Regards,

Edmund