[Discussion] [Tech] Intro / notes on the new Ascend setup

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Mon May 25 20:59:47 PDT 2015

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 02:13:50PM -0700, David Sterry wrote:
> Anyway, when I was at the EBLUG meeting I made some notes about what is
> needed for Ascend's lab server setup mostly just so I could keep track of
> it. As of that meeting, I saw a PXE server running and a network install
> was done though I don't know if that using a custom ISO. I'm probably going
> to test out Tai's custom iso procedure next and will report back on the
> tech list once I've done so.

Glad you could come out!

From what I gather, it looks like we'll be playing with some server
configuration possibilities during the June 17th meeting at EBLUG if you want to
come out to that too. Steve and I have been kicking around a few ideas we'd like
to try and I was hoping to figure out some way of making a custom iso for the
server configuration itself. Then when another server is needed, we just pop in
the USB or disk and it's ready to go.

> Ascend Computer Lab - Partimus
>
> Goals for server:
>
> * Provisioning/repair of machines via pxe install

I think Tai already has this nailed down to about as easy as it can get.

> * Kickstart file with mac addresses tied to machine names
> * Caching proxy server, no filtering needed

Steve Z was talking Squid for this. I've never used it myself but from reading,
it looks like a good move.

> * Remote access to server to monitor logs or make fixes
>
> Security:
>
> * Admin accounts have passwords but blank for students

If this is already working good then probably best to keep things as simple as
possible.

--
Scott DuBois        "You can't trust code that...
BSIT/SE	            you did not totally create yourself"