[Discussion] hourofcode.com Dec 8-14 2014

Grant Bowman grantbow at partimus.org
Wed Oct 1 18:46:42 PDT 2014

Greetings,

Coming back this year is the Hour of Code. It is backed by the nonprofit
code.org with videos and online lessons. This promotion is part of Computer
Science Education Week http://csedweek.org during Dec 8-14. It might be a
good starting point for Partimus to promote better use of the computers we
place. The hourofcode.com can be completed at any time, but during last
year's week long promotion 15 million students took up the challenge. They
are trying for 100 million students this year. I completed the lessons and
think this would be a great, gentle introduction to students interested in
coding.

Importantly, videos do feature female engineers Elena (an entrepreneur),
Janete (Zynga), Paola (Microsoft) and of course male tech icons Mark
Zuckerberg (Facebook), Bill Gates (Microsoft) and others. Sponsors and
partner nonprofits include Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Boys and Girls Clubs
of America and the College Board. After logging in and completing the
challenge it says that 49% of the participants were female and 51% were
male! That sounds like quite an achievement to me given similar numbers I
have seen for female participants in generally available coding challenges.
San Jose is also on top of the leader board.

The coding examples use coding blocks (https://code.google.com/p/blockly/)
representing javascript internally (visible from a button) to control
characters from Angry Birds, and Plants vs. Zombies. This is similar to the
OLPC Turtle Art activity but is run in a web browser. This is much more
engaging for anyone starting out than "hello world" from a Read Eval Print
Loop a.k.a. "REPL" or "command line" interface. The google demo app didn't
take long to complete either.
http://blockly-demo.appspot.com/static/apps/maze/index.html

I look forward to sharing ideas for how to best make use of this
international event to help our site's students and teachers.

Grant