[Discussion] Moving the notebooks and setting them up

James Howard james at partimus.org
Fri Aug 3 18:32:55 PDT 2012

I'll work up a 12.04 pre-seed and test and write up a how-to and publish
it online. It's going to be a much simpler deployment than what we had in
the lab (less centrally managed, no individual user authentication or
stored home directories). It'll take me about a week.

I think the best thing to do for the school would be to move our server
out of the library and into the telco room along with one or two of 24
port 100 base switches. We can patch our server into the classrooms we
want to run the laptops in, and plug upstream into the school's main
Internet. We will need access to that telco closet.

As for the WiFi in Maria Jenerik's room, I set one up last spring --
twice. Turns out the router has a bad CMOS battery so it loses config when
unplugged. We'll need to get her a new WiFi access point (or a router in
bridge mode).