[Discussion] Another fundraising proposal

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 12:34:47 PDT 2011

Hi,

Oops accidently hit send too soon...

On Jun 12, 2011 12:26 PM, "Christian Einfeldt" <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really love this project, because it gives an opportunity to connect
with the non-geeks around digital freedom.  Of course, many purchasers will
be geeks, but I believe that Al Stoll and I will succeed in reaching out to
non-geeks as well.

Another reason that I like this project is that money is emotional.  People
have strong feelings about their money.  The more money you can get people
to commit to a project, the more emotion they have invested in it, and the
more likely they will stick with it.

Newbies can't give code, but everyone should give something to free software
projects they use, or at least one of those free software projects.  I see
these earrings as a way for people to give a tangible financial
contribution, and then to establish a tie by wearing one free software brand
logo.

Logos are also powerful symbols.  By wearing these earrings, people are
making a small but definite association between themselves and free
software.